Saturday, June 15, 2013

Jamming!

One of the most glorious aspects of summer is the abundance of fresh produce, and then preserving some of it for enjoyment in later seasons. One of the yummy and simple ways to preserve fruit is by making jam, and today I made fourteen pints of strawberry jam.

Jam is difficult to find in grocery stores without high fructose corn syrup, food dyes, large amounts of sugar, and artificial flavorings. Organic jams with quality ingredients can cost a vast amount, and in general homemade jam just tastes so good!

I like to use Pomona's Pectin brand as it works really well for low-sugar jam recipes and doesn't have any preservatives in it. Though you can use honey, I used evaporated cane juice crystals just because I had more of them. I basically followed this recipe.

My family likes to put jam on toast or pancakes, but it is also yummy in plain unsweetened yogurt. What do you use jam for?

No comments:

Post a Comment